Skip to main content

Social Distancing Day 53

 I had high hopes for my quarantine time.
We would have weekly movie and game nights . I would find new recipes and cook new dinners. I would walk daily and continue to help my weight loss by healthier eating. I would clean out cabinets and the basement and would be on top of my kids online learning . I would read a lot.

And that lasted about 3.5 days.
My mom died so I give myself a bit of a pass .
I cannot concentrate on a full book and all I want to do is snack (boredom). I have no desire to tackle my basement storage room and the thought of cooking any more dinners causes my blood pressure to rise .  I do walk several times a day however and am kicking ass in the completion of puzzle department.

I cannot take one more episode of impractical jokers. I am desperate for the world to bring back sports so oldest can get back to “normal”tv watching.
Oh how I never thought I would miss
ESPN red zone. I am now, however, caught up on things Felger and Mazz for all you Boston sports friends.

I payed homage to my mom, in honor of what would’ve been her 91st birthday and made her famous 7 up cake ( that I always loved).
The minute I pulled out her recipe card, with her handwriting and flour stains, I began to weep. The smell of the lemon extract instantly brought me into our old kitchen watching her make this.
In spite of me loving to bake, I actually never made this myself because it was always her thing.
What I didn’t realize was how incredibly fattening this cake is!
 3 sticks of butter and 5 eggs to start I thought for sure I must be reading her writing wrong.
 But no- it’s because growing up I didn’t give a hoot about calories and apparently here in pandemic land- I also do not. Topped with sliced strawberries (you know- to be all healthy ) it was the  prefect way to toast my Mom.
So while I surrounded myself with my new dog (who was only wanting to eat my toes), and watching oldest (crack himself up) at impractical jokers, and DH laughing beside him I ended day 422 feeling ok.

I hope to see you all soon - on the other side.
I hope to be able to give you a massive hug-
I hope to be able to get my hair colored soon and to breathe in the fresh air along side of a friend without worrying about getting sick.
But for now
Hang in there with me
And continue to do our part in this

And indulge in a piece of cake.
Frosting always first !
Xo

Comments