Skip to main content

My Dad

I am a communicator by nature.
I have the need to express myself.
I find it cathartic.

But today, on this gray dreary morning, I find myself staring at a blank computer screen, fingers in the curled position- ready to type- but unable to move.

It sums up my last 48 hours.
Somehow going through the motions
But not feeling myself moving.

I have lost my Father.
Physically anyways.
He passed away Wednesday night, an hour after I kissed him goodbye, said I loved him and would talk to him tomorrow.

My dad had been sick for quite some time. He had heart surgery four years ago and really never bounced back. His doctor had forewarned us that the end was near. My Dad wanted to come home.

My Mom lined up hospice and it was decided he would come home Wednesday AM. The oxygen tank and hospital bed were delivered. Nurses and aides were lined up so that my mother could have some support and relief. My brother flew in to visit him.

His last day on Earth was spent with his family.
In his home.
I have great comfort in this.
He didn't die alone in a hospital.
My Mom was holding his hand.
The man she spent almost 50 years with

We have shed a lot of tears the past few days but only because we will miss him so.
He lived a full wonderful life and my brother and I will honor him at his funeral on Sunday.


My father is not here with my physically
but he will always live in my heart.
This is what I tell my boys who arent really grasping the concept. They are still so young. I will remind them, as they grow up, what a wonderful man their grandfather was. He was honest, ambitious, kind and often quite funny. He was a man who put his family first-

always.


I love you Dad
I miss you so...

Comments