Skip to main content

Back to where I started

 My first blog post ever published was on Scary Mommy. 

My kids were much younger- maybe 8ish- and I wrote about how I was dreading summer vacation. 
They had been out of school only a couple of days and were already driving me bonkers.  
I joked about needing a glass of wine and how I don’t understand the people who look forward to summer.

I got reamed out on social media.

REAMED.

I was devastated. 

People called me an alcoholic and an unfit mother.
How could I possibly not want to spend summer vacation with my kiddos? 

Lesson learned.

1) My kids were young and I was blogging about them without permission. 
Although I didn’t write anything hurtful - I don’t know how they would perceive it years to come. And as we know- once out in the internet; always out there. 

Thankfully my kids are fine with what I wrote but I always now ask them for permission to post about them.

2) I’m bi-lingual. I speak fluent English as well as fluent sarcasm. Apparently this is hard to understand through the written word sometimes. 

3) Apparently not all people speak sarcasm.

4) I would like to clarify that I’m the furthest thing from an alcoholic and that 2 glasses of wine can put me to sleep now days. And for the record, I adore my two children with every ounce of my being.
 That being said- anyone who says they like to hear “mommy mommy mommy” over and over without getting somewhat irritated- could very well be lying. 

5) My babies are now young men and summer is my all time favorite holiday.

I love them now  as much as I did then. Perhaps my sentiments came across as harsh, annoyed or unloving.
 (Annoyed could very well have been accurate . And that’s the point. We are parents. We all get annoyed at some time in our parenting life. 
And, so I dare say, maybe even more than some time?
 It’s okay.
 We are human.
 We need breaks and rest and time away as grown ups.
 It’s why babysitters were invented).

Anyway, I cried my eyes out for a few days straight and continued to blog on my own. 

And here we are.
I started in September 2007 (for those who are really bored you can find my entire blog on line https://eatthefrostingfirst.blogspot.com/?m=1)
and I continue today for so many reasons.
Mostly therapeutic.

But I’ve come a long way since my early days and so appreciate you not only joining me; 
but for getting my fluent sarcasm.


Comments