Skip to main content

Cancer. The gift that keeps on giving.

So I have a buzz cut going on.


Naturally along with the lack of hair comes something called folliculitis.
Seriously?
Let's go back to my senior year of HS Latin class and break the word down.
The root word being "follicle" and "itis" meaning something medical you don't want to get.
So yup, I have some kind of acne/strep/fungus whatever itchy crap on my scalp. Apparently it worsened when wearing the wig (traps the scalp from being "free" according to oncology nurse).
She calls me in a lotion and suggests I be "free" whenever possible.

So I have barely come to terms with the lack of hair.
I allow myself to walk around the house without a scarf but still cannot stand to stop in front of a mirror.
What's left of my hair is really really gray which is not so fun and let's remember, I barely have hair.
My husband, two kids and even the dog don't seem to blink twice which is a blessing because I'm doing a lot of blinking.

I don't love the wig. First of all, I feel very wiggy in it. (DUH) and secondly, it's kind of dark (which really is probably my normal color if I didn't color and hi-light it. Or maybe not because apparently Im gray as gray can be)
The wig is itchy and heavy and makes me feel like I have a hat on.
I wore it out to Target for my first trip out. Oddly one of the workers stopped me and said that my cut really flatters my face.
HA! I looked twice at my husband wondering how much he slipped her to say that to me but sure enough, she seemed honest.

I'd much rather wear a scarf. It's lighter and not as headach-ey. Sure it screams cancer but honestly, I feel so self conscious in the wig I think that screams it more. So scarves it is, for a while anyway. I don't really care what people think anymore (although I have learned very few can actually look you in the eye).

So yup, folliculitis. Followed by continual GI stuff and for those following along;still have the G Damned 20 lbs. Really? Could cancer give me a break in any department? Oh there is one..it seems like I may not have to shave under my arms for a bit. Bonus. Let's hope the legs follow suit. Praying my eyebrows and lashes will be saved but not holding on for hope.

Today marked my half way point for chemo. Yup, number 6 in the books. Went with my friend which made it enjoyable and light hearted. Chemo mate today was a 41 year old who wanted to befriend us both. I felt badly as she was by herself and seemed to have a complicated story. To boot, she didn't live in MA and had to stay the week as she needed 5 days of chemo every 3 weeks. That blows. I felt lucky to live in driving distance to one of the best hospitals in the country and even luckier to have a supportive friend by my side who not only helped me pick out a cute new scarf but put the warm blanket over my legs, making sure my feet were always covered. That's true friendship. Love you E.

"Yesterday is over my shoulder" #buffettknowsall

Comments