Skip to main content

Grass isnt always greener

So you know the days when you just want to close the door and let the kids somehow find their way to dinner and friends houses and independently do their homework?
We've all been there.
I get tired that I STILL have to remind my tween-aged boys to wash their hands and brush their teeth.
The struggles for homework are real.
Screen time vs playing outside?
Trying to get a green food into my youngest vs his third day eating pizza.

There are many days I scream and yell.
And then there are days that I really don't care that he is eating pizza again.
Those days I am reminded of what's important.

Health.
Seriously, cliche but the truth.
Love and happiness are a close tie for number one but health trumps all.

When oldest was in the NICU I spent many a day (3 months to be exact) at Children's Hospital in Boston. When I needed a break I would sit on the benches outside Au Bon Pain and people watch. There were bald children pulling their IV poles behind them. There were mothers hugging their screaming toddlers. Disfigured children. Parents filled with tears and fears staring blankly into the lobby. I was one of those Mom's because my 3 month old child was struggling to stay alive upstairs. At one point they had to paralyze his body just to give him a rest. I didn't realize til months later that he was close to dying.

Forward 13 years and I am going through chemo. I walk into Yawkey 8 each Tuesday and face my chemo-mates. I wonder their stories but our faces all say the same thing. Fear. Worry. Just give us health.

I think back to my son's younger days and I have to say that I would give anything to keep my children healthy. If I have to go through an illness give it to me; not them. I am sure most of you feel the same.

So village people, if I can give you one piece of advice as a parent take it from this cancer girl.
None of it matters.
The days you want to rip your hair out- or rip THEIR hair out. Take a breather. Take a bath. Lock yourself in the bathroom.
And if it gets really bad. Take a ride over to Children's Hospital and sit outside Au Bon Pain.
And buy that Mom a coffee. Hug the nurse you see walking behind the cancer patient with the IV pole. Pay for someone's parking.

The grass is NOT always greener.

Comments