Skip to main content

Kindergarten is around the corner

Oldest will officially start Kindergarten this Fall. At the age of barely 5. This would not have been my first choice for him if it wasn't for the ideal placement that ourtown has to offer. (I probably would've held him back and started Kindergarten at the age of six as I most likely will do with youngest )
Oldest has severe speech delays. His language has caught up dramatically and is now at an average 4 yr old level (LETS HEAR IT FOR AVERAGE!) His speech however, very delayed. More like a 3 year old (he and youngest often sound alike) This is mostly due to oldest having a trach for almost 2 years and not being able to even babble. Part is also due to his poor oral motor skills (lack of eating, moving the jaw muscles and something called dysarthria. He is also extremely shy and a very "young" almost 5 year old. Because of his shyness, his social skills are a little, shall I say, lacking and his fine and gross motor skills- also delayed. Nothing huge really but clearly, he is behind his peers in many areas. Our town has a great program at an elementary school not in our "assigned district" that is for children with speech, language and cognitive delays. So oldest will be in a small classroom (maybe 4 kids max) where he will focus throughout most of his day on speech and language. They may explain things that the "typical" Kindergarten class is doing in easier terms for him to understand. The best part is that he will integrate into the typical class as appropriate. This could be 1 hour/day or 5 hrs/day. Whatever works best for him. It will be customized to his needs. I'm really thrilled about this because I was very fearful of him entering a typical K classroom. He would, simply put, drown. To clarify, I think my son is very bright and people don't always realize this because he is so shy and non verbal. He, however, retains quite a lot of information -often surprising in me in what he knows. I think this classroom will be a great service to him.
When Dear Husband and I moved to town almost 8 yrs ago, we knew it had a good school system. This was definitely a factor in deciding which town to live in. However, no one can know that they will give birth to a child with special needs who will need special services. How amazed and fortunate we are to find out that it is the perfect fit for our son!
I do worry about him starting school. I worry he will feel left out from the other kids as he has to go in between the "big classroom" and "little classroom". I worry he will be so shy that he wont attempt a snack at snack time. I worry as any Mom worries...but I know, this small setting will give him the self confidence he needs to excel.
My little boy is going to Kindergarten....
My youngest goes off to Preschool..
Where has the time gone?
Tears fill my eyes
and then,
I remember...
I will have a whole 2 1/2 hours to myself
What will I do with my time?
Hmm, I'm sure I'll find something!

Comments