Skip to main content

Oh Camp Tel Noar..

I've said it before and I'll say it again..my best childhood memories (and many of my grown up memories) are from a place I spent 13 summers. An overnight camp, Camp Tel Noar, where I learned what a "townie" was, participated in events called "Apachee relays" and where I made friendships...friends that lasted well beyond our years at Tel Noar.
If you ask an alum of his/her favorite memory he may have to stop and think a while..not because we cannot come up with one but because we come up with so many.
When I first attended camp in 1977, I arrived a day late because I was home sick with strep throat. I was 9 yrs old and although excited to go away to camp, arriving a day after everyone else was a bit nerve wracking. I was greeted by George Marcus, Director of camp at the time. His white hair and gold bracelet were two things I remember most about him. And his warmth. His incredible warmth of making every camper feel that they were important. Because to George, we all were important.
He took the time to learn every child's name and a bit of information about them. Where they were from, siblings he may have known, or the fact that for every summer there after...she would get Strep Throat. A tidbit about me George never forgot.
George passed away this past weekend after suffering a heart attack while driving his car. He was with his wife, Norma (also a CTN icon) and she is currently in the hospital with serious injuries. The Tel Noar community came together, as we often do,(albeit online for right now) and mourned the loss of a great director. We posted memories on Facebook; all of us so saddened to hear the news.
I hope George knew what an impact he had on all of us. I hope he knows that Camp Tel Noar and George Marcus are synonymous for so many of us. The two go hand in hand.
I reconnected with George and Norma 4 years ago while planning the camp's 60th reunion. Norma was on the planning committee with me while George was at temple; teaching children. As we addressed the envelopes, in typical George style, Norma updated us on past campers and counselors. She knew where people were living now, who they married and if their children now attended camp as well. Typical George fashion. And why not? The two were two peas in a pod. They were each other's best friend and I only hope she has a speedy recovery. We mourn along with you....

RIP George.

Comments