Skip to main content

A purse holding kind of guy

I admit I cry easily.
Im sentimental and emotional and it doesn't take much for me to shed a few tears.
So it was no surprise that I did just that this morning while reading an article in the magazine portion of the Boston Globe.
Now, for some reason, I used to be able to insert a link into my blog and you could view just what I was talking about. For some reason, I cannot figure it out anymore so here's the summary..
The article was written by a breast cancer doc who says she has single friends who are placing personal ads and looking for the wrong thing..a guy who kayaks or likes french food. She says they should be looking for something different..someone who will hold your purse. She continues to write how over her yrs she sees women going in for radiation, chemo, surgery, etc and they turn to their husband when their name is called, and hands over her purse. The husband, not knowing how else to help his wife, dutifully holds the purse and waits.
Although I never handed over my purse, I have that husband. She makes her own personal add and says this is what we all should be looking for:

WANTED: A partner for richer or poorer and for better or worse and absolutely, positively in sickness and in health. A partner for fishing and French food and beach walks and kayak trips, but also for phone calls from physicians with biopsy results. A guy who knows that while much of marriage is a 50-50 give-and-take, sometimes it’s more like 80-20, and that’s OK, even when the 80-20 phase goes on and on. A man who truly doesn’t care what somebody’s breast looks like after cancer surgery, or at least will never reveal that he’s given it a moment’s thought. A guy who’s got some comfort level with secretions and knows the value of a cool, damp washcloth. A partner who knows to remove the computer mouse from a woman’s hand when she types phrases like “breast cancer death sentence” in a Google search. And, most of all, a partner who will sit in a cancer clinic waiting room and hold hard onto the purse on his lap.

So I dedicate today's post to my husband who never commented about the awkward look of my NB, who never once complained while "draining" my drains post surgery and who never thought twice about himself during my cancer ordeal...and only thought about what was best for me.
So to my husband who had to ordeal the 80/20 the past few months...
know I love you. And am so grateful I married a purse holding kind of guy.

Comments