Skip to main content

And so it begins..

menopause
Well, perhaps the start of menopause
Okay, maybe just menopausal symptoms.

Still.
It begins.

Met with the oncologist today. Dr. E was very...statistical. Here are the facts. Here are the risks. Here are your decisions.

So I send my scrip for Tamoxifen off to the mail in pharmacy I now need to go through (honestly, the biggest pain in my butt. I much prefer CVS and my resident pharmacist who is the most helpful person on the planet and always, ALWAYS, asks how my boys are doing.) But, thanks to husband's insurance plan..this is what we need to do for any long term meds.

Apparently my Cancer (or as he calls it, pre-cancer. I guess DCIS is pre-cancer. Which is why it's actually called Stage Zero. I dont buy it. I had a mastectomy because of pre-Cancer? To me, it's Cancer.)
I digress...


Apparently my Cancer was very aggressive and all over the place. Good to know the mastectomy was the right way (or in this case, the only way) to go. I also learned I have some kind of hypoplasia something or another which puts me in another risk category. Terrific. And let's not forget all the Cancer that runs on my Dad's side of the family. It's bad.
So he suggests meeting with a genetic counselor to discuss doing genetic testing. More stress and worries in my life. Just what I need.

I google BRCA testing (BRCA1 and BRCA2 are human genes that belong to a class of genes known as tumor suppressors. Mutation of these genes has been linked to hereditary breast and ovarian cancer)(because as we know, I'm a googler and in constant need for knowing the facts. ) and it says if you do the testing, your results can come back as positive (for carrying a "mutant" gene ) negative or...ambiguous.

You know that will be me.
Ambiguity.
My luck and all.

And I dont mean to laugh at any Cancer stuff but the surgery name for taking out your ovaries (if you may be a risk for ovarian cancer) is an oopharectomy.

Does it not sound like a name who should be associated with Oprah fans or something?

Comments