Skip to main content

Outrage

When I saw an article regarding the Government's "task force" thinking that women under 50 do not need screening mammograms, I think actual steam came out from my head.
Without a family history, they may now recommend that you wait until you have a Mammo and oh yea, let's throw the self breast exam out the window too. WHAT? No need to look for a lump if it could potentially save your life? And no family history of Breast Cancer? Okay, that would be me. So, I would now be waiting 9 more years until my first mammogram where then they would be most likely telling me I had Stage 3 or Stage 4 Breast Cancer that has metastasized because ...well, because you waited so long to be checked out.
I had no lump. I have no mother with Breast Cancer. I had a clean mammogram at the age of 40. What I did have was advanced DCIS that was caught on a screening mammogram that was cured by a mastectomy. I shutter to think of the what if's.
With younger women these days getting diagnosed earlier and earlier I cannot even begin to fathom what this idiotic task force is thinking making these recommendations. I am scared for women who fall into categories like I did...I fear what their outcomes may be if this becomes a reality.
What's next? Will health insurance be telling us that they wont pay for things like colonoscopies, routine blood work even?


Come on government..wake up and spend some quality time with physicians..real physicians, and re-evaluate. You are clearly living in a fog.

Comments