Skip to main content

The honeymoon

Wouldn't it be kind of fun to go back in time when we just got engaged? We would get to re-register! Who couldn't use some new every day dishes from Crate and Barrel? And that fifth crystal bowl that your parents friend bought you? Return it for a much needed serving platter. Note..you can NEVER have enough serving pieces. Known fact.

Brother in law just got engaged. I am beyond elated for him. I said..beyond! Can be loosely interpreted as "way too into the whole thing!" I want to live vicariously through him for the next few months. I want to relive wedding planning, receiving line or no receiving line and deciding on a honeymoon destination. I loved that time. The whole kit and caboodle. Sure it was stressful. All the plans, the fine details. The fights with my Mother. But...so fun! When else do you get to be center of attention for an entire day? (hmm, other than your funeral I mean. But then, you dont get to enjoy it!)

And couldn't we all use a second honeymoon? I would choose my destination more wisely. I loved our honeymoon; dont misunderstand. We spent ten days in St. Lucia surrounded by crystal clear waters but, as we know all too well, once you have children, your travel days are numbered. I really wanted to go to the Greek Islands. Why didn't I do that? Now, I'll be 60 before I see the Greek Islands.

I am still deeply in love with my husband. Maybe even more so (because as the song goes, I love you more today then yesterday) yet I do miss the honeymoon period. The time when everything is joyous and wonderful. The time when nothing is more exciting then planning your future together. The time when...

when it didn't involve whining and tantrums and motherly duties.
Yes of course I love being a mother. I wouldn't have gone through 6 IVF cycles if I didn't want to be here but I can still want some peace and quiet every now and again. Cant a Mother dream?

Or in this case, reminisce over the honeymoon period.

Enjoy brother in law!

Comments