Skip to main content

The day after

Well I survived my official first year as Hostess of Thanksgiving. But not without a few bumps and officially turning into a bitch on the day prior.
We had been without hot water since Friday. Those not following along with the math, that meant we were on day 5. I was beginning to get slightly annoyed. Apparently not every plumber in America deals with our hot water tank so we had to find an appropriate company that does. Naturally, after coming out a few wks ago and assuring us they fixed the problem, it broke again. They told us they had the part to fix it so it wouldn't be a huge problem if it broke. We call over the weekend and of course didn't receive a call back until Monday. Sorry, we cant come out until Tuesday.
Tuesday rolls around.
Again. Sorry. We dont have the part and will have to overnight it. I can assure you it will get here on Wednesday and we will be out to fix it.
Wednesday. 11AM
"Hello. Mrs Stern. Yea, Paula from idiot plumbing company. Unfortunately there was a problem with the plane and the part wont be here until our afternoon delivery. It usually arrives at 230. I'll call you the second it comes in."
"Hello Mrs Stern. Yes, I realize its almost 3PM and the part isn't here. Unfortunately we close at 3 and UPS has told me now it wont be delivered until Friday. And you see..the problem with that is we are closed on Friday so we wont be able to do anything until Monday"
"Yea hello..Manager? If the part isn't here to me by today, in my hand, I will officially lose it and you dont want to deal with me when I'm losing it 24 hrs before hosting Thanksgiving dinner."
Too many details to write but lets just say it included 3 calls to the manufacturing company of this part and 3 calls to UPS. Not to mention many to the bastard manager at idiotic plumbing company.
End result. I got my part Wednesday at 5PM. Thankfully I have a handy husband who installed it himself and voila...
HOT WATER!
2 pies came out beautiful. The third (Blueberry Pie) didn't bake right so at 10PM I was slamming doors, tossing pies into garbage cans and running out for my 22nd trip to Roche Brothers Supermarket to buy more blueberries.

So I'm thankful for....
living so close to a supermarket that stays open until 11PM on the eve before Thanksgiving.
My husband who knows better then to help me when I'm ready to explode and knows when to stay out of my way
To Cindy at the manufacturing company who was by far the nicest person I spoke to on Wednesday sympathizing with the fact my boys hadn't bathed in 5 days.
To my in laws who constantly entertain my boys when they come visit; giving me a much needed break.
And to the people who invented the Jacuzzi tub~

The end result..
an awesome Thanksgiving (not to mention a delish blueberry pie!)

Comments