Skip to main content

What I learned from Summer Camp...

I was thinking about how much I learned from summer camp. Overnight camp to be exact. It's a fraternity that is so hard to explain to people who never went. It's a bond that connects us.

I learned...
How to shave my legs, insert a tampon and when it became time to use deoderant.
How to make hospital corners, clean a toilet, and use a dustpan.
What the terms "kaka swim", "pink eye" and "fratenization" meant.
How to paddle (and capsize) a canoe, do the dead man's float, and dance a proper "horah".
I learned how to tie dye a shirt, make a bracelet from gimp and how to serve a volleyball.
How to grease a watermelon, make a smore, eat grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup.
I learned how to flirt, interact with the opposite sex and feel self confident.
How to make friends with people I may normally not be friends with during the "school year", how to sleep in a room with 15 other girls (some who snore, talk in their sleep or even walk in their sleep) and how to wash bathing suits out in Woolite.
I learned about friendships, heartache, and happiness. I learned a years worth of psychology courses in a two month span. I learned that 10 months out of the year I yearned to stay in touch with my "camp" friends and got butterflies in my stomach as I passed the pharmacy at the end of June, as it only meant I was seconds away from entering my second home.

I learned so much from camp and have so many amazing memories of a tiny place in Hampstead New Hampshire that it's no wonder why I keep in touch with so many of my fellow alum today.
It was such a huge part of my childhood.
And my adult hood.

It is why I hated "canteen" on milk days and why to this day, I hate Good N Pleanty!

Comments