Skip to main content

Summertime blues

It's not even March and already I'm stressing out over summer plans.

Reminder: type A woman here.

I found out they cancelled my summer camp option for Youngest. They also cut Oldest's "summer school" down to 3 1/2 weeks.
Summer is 13 weeks total.
I admit I was always a bad math student but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that leaves me with a lot of weeks of nothing to do with my children.

I am not that Mother who looks forward to school vacations and summer breaks.
I am not that mother who thinks it will be wonderful to have no schedule, no restrictions.
I love restrictions.

I have been furiously typing away at my computer looking for options and unless we take out a second mortgage on our home, it's pretty much me and the boys this summer. I cannot believe how expensive day camp is. Sure I have the option of our town rec department, which is what I will opt for, but it's not ideal.
As they get older I realize that I need to start thinking of ways to entertain them.

I wonder how long they would enjoy watching me on Facebook?

Pool days and beaches only go so far when your boys are young.
As my youngest is yelling in the background to me that he has nothing to do, I realize how long 13 weeks is really going to be.

I was wondering how did I survive last summer? Why did it not seem too bad?
Then I remembered,
I had a mastectomy.
I was in bed for over 2 weeks and had a full time sitter for a good portion of the summer.
No wonder why I enjoyed myself! (Surgery and all..)

So as I look out my window and watch the snow squalls fall from the sky, I dream of warmer days ...
and think summer may not be all that it's cracked out to be.

sometimes I wonder, what I'm gonna do
but there aint no cure for the summertime blues.

Comments