Skip to main content

Taking a bite out of the big apple

Dear husband grew up in New York City.
In Manhattan.
He didn't have a backyard until the age of 30.
There was no cub scouts, no trick or treating at the neighbors houses, no riding around in your car after math class let out in high school.

I married a city guy who, thankfully, wanted the suburban life.

My in laws are still there so we go to visit. My blood pressure rises every time we cross the bridge into Manhattan. We spend lots of money going from point A to point B because you can't just hop in your car, you must take a taxi. Or the subway (which we don't do much of).
Or you walk. A lot.
Which I admit, is actually refreshing. The suburbanites don't walk enough. We get into our SUV's and our minivans and we drive around the corner to drop off our child at school or a play date. We walk to the local drugstore because it's cold out or because it's further then a few minutes away. We are spoiled. And possibly heavier then most New Yorkers due to the fact that..they walk. A lot.

I confirmed with my SIL to be that you must need two kinds of shoes. Your day shoes (aka the walking shoes) and your going out shoes (aka heels and therefore,your $200 shoes because you need to shell out the taxi money to go out because you cant walk in previously mentioned shoes)

Then your hair comes into play.
I walk outside for two minutes in this weather and my hair looks like a bad sci-fi movie. Static central. All this walking and you surely cant look as good as you did when you left your house (excuse me, apartment) 30 minutes prior. Especially in the Winter. Not to mention your make up is off because you're so darned cold.

So you spend lots of money. Taxis, food, restaurants, groceries, toys, all marked up compared to the suburb life I live in. We would be broke within weeks.

Yet somehow, people are not.
They are not broke.
Women are walking around in high boots, Chanel pocketbooks and Jimmy Choo shoes.
Men; equally as fashionable.
Not all people of course, but many.
I didn't see many baseball hat wearing women unless they were out running because all women in NYC are a size 4 or lower.
Because they walk everywhere.

Maybe these NYC people are on to something?
Maybe I should give up my SUV and walk to the market next week. I will schlep home my one bag of groceries and do it again the next day because that would be all I could carry in one trip.

I don't understand the city living.
Yet I know many who live there and cant imagine my life.

Birds chirping vs cars honking
Doormen in your apartment lobby vs. your front door in your house
taxis vs cars
streets vs lawns
banks, dunkin donuts and Starbucks on every corner (oh wait, that's the suburbs too)

So although I adore my in laws and all my friends in NYC I am thankful that I will never be leaving my suburban life.

I'll sport my I HEART NY tshirt but that's as far as my love goes.

Comments