Skip to main content

It's not rocket science

The year; 2003.
The location; Boston MASS.

I was on bedrest for 10 weeks.
I then gave birth to premature twins.
One survived.
One did not.

To say my life turned upside down is an understatement.

Most of you know how this went...
Oldest stayed in the NICU for 6 months and then came home with a tracheostomy, feeding tube and lived on a ventilator and oxygen until he was 19 months.

I had stock in Purell.
You were not allowed into my house without washing your hands and if you so much had a sniffle, we would not hang out together.
We rarely left the house.
If we did, it was for a walk around the neighborhood or to the hospital for a drs appointment.
Therapists came in and out of our house.
Washing up before interacting began.

Oldest had multiple pneumonias throughout his first 4 years of life so we were in and out of hospitals constantly.
I was extremely socially isolated.
I was too busy worrying about his health to spend time with friends.
We hung out at home quite a bit during flu seasons.

We washed hands way before it was trendy.

It has been almost 17 years and it's almost (ALMOST) a forgotten memory.

Does my social isolation compare with what we are facing now?
Not really.
But kinda.

Because we did what we had to do to keep oldest safe.
And we did what we had to do keep ourselves safe so as not to infect our child.

And that's pretty much what this is all about people.

It's not rocket science.

Comments