Skip to main content

This all just sucks

It's hard to believe that a few weeks ago, DH and I were actually arguing about whether we should cancel our cruise or not.
It's hard to believe that within weeks, and now down to days and hours, the world is changing.

This anxious writer was "relatively" calm up until 24 hours ago.
Nothing has changed to make me more panicked-
other than the news.

All of it.
Articles from Italy residents "warning" us, as Americans, to heed their advice.

Someone who knows someone who is on a ventilator due to Covid19.

Reading about a guy who was recently at Disney world who has now passed from the virus. (Who had an underlying condition of Asthma and frequent bronchitis) (This one terrifies me the most because of my two asthmatic children and oldest who has more than his fair share of crappy lung stories)

I try to shut the news off.
I try not to read the articles.
DO NOT READ THE ARTICLES, my little inside voice tells me.
So I don't.
Until I do.

Because every third person on social media is posting some new article.
Fact vs fiction?
Who the eff knows and at this point, I'm not sure I care.

Because I know it's bad.
And it's not getting better.
And no one knows when it's going to be better.

And that's the terrifying part, isn't it?
NO ONE KNOWS!
WTF?

We are living in a really scary time.
I'm not so worried for myself.
Honestly, 4 weeks of binging mindless TV shows and watching old 80's movies doesn't sound that awful to me.
DH has set up his home office and I don't think we will kill each other by days end because his work days really haven't been too disruptive because of this.

I worry about my kids.
Your kids.
All our kids.

We are taking away such crucial times of their lives.
They are facing so many disappointments and are not getting the education, social interactions and god knows what else, that they deserve.

And this is not about teaching kids that life is filled with disappointments because as we all, I'm sure,  can agree, this is not comparable to not getting on the varsity team or into your first college choice.
This, for a lack of better words, ALL JUST SUCKS.

During a normal day, we usually go around the table and discuss our "best and worst" of the day.
I decided routine is key.

Oldest: "Best was watching Impractical Jokers. Worst was losing at foosball"
Youngest: "Best was watching TV. Worst was watching TV"

And that about sums it up around here.




Comments