Skip to main content

Social Distancing Day 5, Puppy Day 2

Good morning my fellow distancers

We, here in our household are on social distancing day 5
Puppy day 2.

We put our beloved Wilsey down last month and it completely broke me.
"Im not even sure I want another dog" I said, repetitively, through my tears.
"I need time. At least not til after summer"

And then we had to cancel our cruise.
And then, with each passing day, my heart grew empty.
Our house was missing something.
Our hearts were missing something.

And then the breeder told me there will be an availability March 15th.
Come and see.

"We have the whole family home. You know. Indefinitely. What a perfect time to train" I pleaded as I looked at the potential puppy pictures.
Convinced I would take one home but didn't want to get my hopes up.

And then we met Skylar.
She chose us.
She came right to me and enveloped me with puppy kisses.
As the rest of the family looked at other puppies; I knew.
Skylar was going to come home with us.

She got car sick on the ride home all over our new puppy blanket.
And then she peed down my jeans.
And then she cried and yelped every hour in the crate.
And then I cried and yelped every hour in my bed.

She's a pup
I reminded myself.
Over and over and over as I cleaned up poop from my hardwood floors.

And then I looked at her cute face and the anger and frustration disappeared.

So night two I slept on the floor next to her crate.
And I use the term "slept" very loosely.
Because a hardwood floor is not exactly my comphy bed.
But Sklyar came first.
And my kids needed sleep (even if they had no school that they had to get up for the following day)

And guess what?
She was happy.
And I was happy.
And we are now on day 2.

Social distancing day 5 has given me multiple trips to Petsmart.
A few trips to the market.
A bit of neuroses every time oldest sniffles (you getting sick? I look at him. Again. And again)
The sadness of not being able to visit my 90 year old mother (and wondering when I will be able to again)
I cannot turn away from the news and 2500 articles on corona virus yet;; desperately want to turn away from the news and articles.
I now have more pasta in my closet than necessary.
My hands are (literally) bleeding from overwashing.
And now Brady is leaving the Patriots.

If there are silver linings out there, these are them:

Time to work on the 1000 piece puzzle of the state of Maine with youngest.
A basketball and foosball tournament with oldest.
A loss of 7 lbs (stress diet)
Kicking ass in Candy Crush.
Endless puppy time with lots of kisses.
I imagine I could write an entire book on the blog pieces spinning around in my head each day
I mean, each hour.

And of course, as sad as I am Tom is leaving my beloved team
I am forever grateful that we now have something else to discuss

#coronavirus

Please share your silver linings with me


Comments