Skip to main content

My trip to Wegman's

I lost my shit at Wegman's today.
And not for reasons you may think.

The parking lot was fairly crowded so I braced myself for the inside.
I only needed a few things so knew my shop would be quick.

I was greeted by a man cleaning the carts off.
I thanked him and moved my way into the store- where I saw several signs telling shoppers to abide by the rules and that tape was placed down in multiple areas of the store; reminding us to stay at least a cart length away from each other.

The deli counter was closed (turkey breast on my list) but they had a taped off area of their pre packaged selections. One person at a time (even though a few were disregarding this rule.)
For the most part, people were civil and polite. Little eye contact, many wearing gloves and masks, just wanting to get their groceries and move on their way.

The checkout line was long but extremely organized.
It was roped off by sections and each person stood on their red taped line until they were told to move up.

The manager directed to me to line 24 and I was instructed by the person working the register to stand on the line and put my groceries on the belt. He thanked me for my patience and for waiting in the long line.  I thanked him for working. When he told me I could move up to pay, we were distanced by a piece of plexi glass.

How are you holding up? I asked the 60 something year old man.
"Im doing okay, I guess. " He said. And paused. "My wife is a nurse in Boston and she has to go into work starting next week on the Covid floors. I'm really worried." In the same breath, he asked me how I was holding up.

I fought back my tears.
I am fine.
My family is fine.
We are safe and secure in our home with plenty of food and toilet paper. DH has a steady job with steady income.
We are fine.
I couldn't complain about the puppy not sleeping or the fact that I have a headache.
We were fine.

I wished the man well. I told him to stay safe and to thank his wife from me.
I rushed out of the store.
And I cried in my car.

This is not how our country should be running.
People terrified to go to work.
Healthcare workers walking, into war.
Our grocery store workers being the heroes.

I should not be talking to a man, with plexi glass seperating us, when all I wanted to do was give him a reassuring hug.

I'm so sad for so many people.
My heart is aching.
And if you choose not to be a rule follower, because you cannot bare to be away from your friend or hear another word from your teenager about missing his girlfriend, just stop for a moment...
and think about the Wegman's worker and his wife.

Stay home.
Be smart.
Be safe.



Comments