Skip to main content

My take

Anyone else wishing we could go back and discuss things like Tom Brady being a free agent and whether or not the Kardashians will let Kourtney be in the next episode?

But here we are.
We are officially in a pandemic and it's no joke.

This is what I've learned, pondered and/or obsessed about in the last few weeks. Please add to my list..

We had to cancel our cruise. This was a no brainer with each changing day however we are still disappointed. That being said, we are not afraid to cruise in the future. The cruise lines did not cause the virus and if anyone has ever been on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, you can attest to the fact they are quite serious about keeping clean. They constantly are wiping down railings and elevators and someone LITERALLY stands in front of the dining rooms with a bottle of purell not letting you pass go unless you get a squirt. Do not let this deter you from sailing. We love it. I realize it's not for everyone and that's fine but do not knock them for thinking this is because of cruise ships.

I've watched youngest become disappointed because they are cancelling the HS musical that him and the cast have worked so hard on for the last few months. We have hopes they will get to reschedule this in May or June but for now, it's my 14 year old's disappointment that makes me sad.

My heart breaks for so many. Seniors.
Seniors in terms of elderly and seniors in terms of graduating seniors. Colleges are closing- taking away the joy of their last few months on campus, hanging with their friends and, I'm assuming, actually getting to experience a true graduation. I hope that the HS seniors I know will get to have their moment in the spotlight that they all so deserve. I realize this is no one's fault and people are trying to keep us all safe. It just sucks on so many levels.

I feel for those of you with little ones.
Explaining this without showing them fear and asking them to wash their hands 105 times a day after they picked their nose, touched Joey's face in the playground or went and ate their friend's snack out of their lunchbox. I saw a teacher in Maine was putting hand stamps on the kids hands and giving them prizes if the stamp was gone by the end of the day (which proved that they actually washed their hands well enough during the day). Creative and fun without fear. I love it.

Small businesses.  I just saw online a local sandwich shop was reiterating the fact that they are cleaning constantly, workers are using gloves to handle food and money and that business is on as usual. They will even deliver to your car if you don't want to come in. Please, if you are healthy, support your local businesses. I'm not worried about the Big Mac becoming non existent but I do worry for the likes of the sandwich shop. They need you. They need us.

And that's the bottom line isn't it.
We need to rally here.
Instead of shooting everyone down for overreacting let's remember why we are all overreacting?

The unknown is always terrifying.
And this is unchartered territory for even the brightest and smartest people in our country.
We just don't know.

So stick to the rules.
Follow guidelines.
Be smart.

We are being tested as parents right now. We need to show our kids about resiliency, teach them that life is sadly full of some disappointments but there's always (often?) a silver lining somewhere.


We are in unchartered waters and the ride is rough.
Be kind and wash your hands.



Comments