Skip to main content

4 weeks out

Met with both of my surgeons today (Breast and Plastics) and got good reports from both. Thankfully I am officially a survivor. I need to meet with an oncologist to discuss possibly going on Tamoxifen (which in small terms possibly helps to prevent cancer from attacking my healthy breast) and am scheduled to "lift" my good side mid October. It looks like by the end of 2009, I will be putting this Cancer stuff behind me.
While waiting for my plastics doc I was saddened by the look of his waiting room. I don't know about you but when I think of a plastic surgeon nose jobs, face lifts and boob jobs immediately come to mind. Not so according to this room at Mass General today. There were two people who were paraplegic, one burn victim (noticeable damage to face) and another walking around with a huge brace on her leg in addition to needing oxygen. I sat there, thinking about my NB and how truly lucky I am. Really, I mean it. This whole scare has made me appreciate, even more, what I have and has brought to my attention that life CAN really change in an instant.
The 10pm news last night had two stories of people who were killed by a car. Not a drunk driver..just someone not paying attention obviously. Young people who were taken away all too soon because of someone else's negligence. It made me fearful of letting my kids "out there" (There..in the world) but I know I cannot shelter them forever. I have had new fears since becoming a mother. Fears that don't include myself but my children. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and thankfully am around to watch my children grow. I know there are so many who are not as fortunate as me. So today...after receiving two good reports, I come home to my husband (who took the day off to watch the boys so I could spend a few hrs at the hospital), to my two amazing boys (if I do say so myself--cute as can be) and am off to spend the rest of the afternoon enjoying them. Enjoying life.
I suggest you all stop whatever thing you are doing (housecleaning, bitching about the stain on the rug, working too hard,) and..
I suggest you all do the same.

Comments