Skip to main content

Make new friends, but keep the old...

one is silver and the other's gold.
I'm not sure if this happens to everyone who has a disease or who is faced with a challenge so big that you just start to re-examine your life--but it's happened to me. Twice actually. First when Zachary passed away and when we started to face challenges with Oldest and now again, when diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
I became a mush. In a good sense but a mush. I started once again to take notice in the important things in my life and started telling anyone who would listen how much I appreciate them in my life. I stared at my husband as he slept and hugged my boys for a minute longer than normal. I laid outside in the sun for the mornings they were at camp and just appreciated the warmth and quiet time. I read some good books. Ate ice cream when I felt like it and laid in bed appreciating being...well, not being diagnosed as terminal.
I've heard this happens to many. Something tragic happens in their life and they get woken up. They realize that the long line in the supermarket that made them curse yesterday really wasn't that big of an issue. Who cares that there was traffic on the way home or that you spilled olive oil over your favorite shirt? I sound like a preacher but really..stop and think how big a problem is this? Oldest' OT (occupational therapist) made him a book so he could help decipher a "big oops" vs a "little oops". Meaning, what was important to get upset over. Did he need to scream and tantrum if Youngest took a toy away from him or was that just a "little oops". So lets think when you get upset..is it really a big oops?
So during my mushy time Ive really gotten sentimental over friendships. I have many wonderful friends in my life--some newer, mostly older. I have been so touched by the outpouring of support from people I havent heard from in years to close, amazing friends. There's nothing like a good support system when going through something difficult and I've learned that I have great people to lean on in times of need (and always) There's nothing like an old friend. A friend you have history with. A friend who remembers you before you had a husband and children. A friend who knew you with braces and big hair. A friend who listened to you as you broke up with your "true love".
So make new friends
but keep the old
one is silver
and the other's gold.

Thank you, to my silver and gold friends.
I could not have made it this far without you.

Comments