Skip to main content

Conversation with my four year old

On way to hospital to get youngest's cast off

Mommy. Why is that man on the side of the road holding a sign?

(SIGN: I'm sober and homeless. Need money)

Well honey. You know how we give our old toys and clothes to people who sometimes cant afford them? This man doesn't have much money and is asking for some.

How do people get money?

They work.

Daddy gets money from S? (aka boss)

No honey. (Daddy's work) gives Daddy money.

Does Dr A. get money?

Yes honey. Lots.

Why do we need money? To buy chap stick?

Amongst other things.
When you get married you need money so your kids can have clothes and food and toys.

I'm never getting married. I want to make the rules and you said when you get married the mommy makes the rules.

(Shit, how do I get out of this one?) No. Daddy makes rules doesn't he? You can make rules when you get married.

Ponders

I'm not getting married because I want to live with you forever. In our house. I don't need a new house.

When you're older you wont want to live with Mommy.

OH yes I will. And I think I'm going to be a doctor instead of a teacher. Do teachers make money?

Not enough kid.

Or maybe I'll just be an ice cream scooper

Comments