Skip to main content

Resignation as an adult

I found my old journals last night. I spent a couple of hours glancing through them; remembering the heartache I felt after my HS boyfriend and I broke up once we went to college. The crush I had for years on a singer. The fights I had as a teenager with my Mom. Those journals are priceless and gave me a good walk down memory lane.

I also found a printout called "Resignation as an adult"

Here is my, somewhat, adapted version.

I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an adult. I have decided I would like to accept the responsibilities of a 6 yr old again.

I want to go to McDonald's and think that it's a four star restaurant. I want to be able to eat whatever I want and not care that it may make me fat.

I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make ripples with rocks.

I want to play kickball during recess and paint with watercolors in art. I want to play four square, SPUD, trace my shadows, make mashed potato fudge as a science experiment and have library hour.

I want to run a lemonade stand with my friends on hot summer days.

I want to return to a time when life was simple.

When all you knew were colors, addition tables, and afternoons at the park.

When all you knew was to be happy because you didn't know all the things that should make you worried and upset.

I want to think the world is fair.

That everyone in it is good and honest.

I want to believe that anything is possible.

What happened to the time when the worst thing in your world was if someone took away your turn for chinese jumprope or picked you last for dodge ball?

I want to be oblivious to the complexity of life and be overly excited by the little things again.

I want to return to the days of afternoon play dates, riding my bike outside without fears.

There was a time when I didn't know about bills, money, expenses,..

I want life to be simple again.

I don't want my day to consist of bad things on the news, doctors visits, health problems, gossip, illness, worries and loss of loved ones.

I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, and a kind word. I want my days to be spent listening for the ice cream man on a summer day, best friends, truth, dreams, making angels in the snow and catching snow flakes with our tongue.

I want to be six again.

Comments