Skip to main content

Remember when

Remember when I couldn't wait to quit my job and become a stay at home Mom? I dreamed about days at the park hanging out with other moms, staying home and watching daytime TV, thinking it would be the easy life.

Little did I know that working was the easy life.
Not answering 1000 why questions within 2 minutes and eating lunch while sitting down-those were the good ol' days.

Remember when my biggest problems were what Lifetime movie should I be watching this Sunday afternoon and what movie should we go see Saturday night? Remember when we didn't need to pay anyone other than the movie theatre to go out?

Remember when I would come home from work to a quiet apartment, cook myself some dinner and then crawl into bed early if I felt like it. I had no one to be responsible for other than myself.
And a cat. But she could've cared less that I went to bed at 8PM or watched Nick at Nite until I fell asleep.

Remember when I thought nothing was more important then proms and boyfriends?
Driving and talking on the phone?
Remember when people used to talk on the phone?

I'm turning 42 and already I'm telling my 4 and 6 year old children "When I was younger..."

There are oh, so many days, that I miss my youth, my single years, my no responsibility days.

Yet wasn't it only yesterday when I was rocking my youngest child to sleep and picking up my oldest from his first day of preschool.
I swear just the other day my little one started to crawl, said his first words ("mama" of course) and had rolls of fat on his little thighs.
Just yesterday my oldest was reaching milestones I never thought he would meet. He was breathing on his own, taking steps and proving to us all that he would be just fine in life.

So yes, I'm turning 42 in May and I'm already thinking, where has the time gone?
I wish away these stressful moments, I think of things like "if only they were older" but I know,in my heart of hearts, I wish I could keep them little for a long while.

To my precious two boys...
I'm sorry if I screamed at you today or lost my patience. I'm sorry if I didn't pay attention to you while I was on the computer or I took too long on the telephone. I'm sorry if I said "not right now" when you asked me to do something with you.

Tomorrow I will be more attentive.
Because I'm remembering when....
and it already went too fast.

Comments