Skip to main content

Marriage

I spent over an hour last night watching my wedding video.
I cried through the entire thing. (Shocking Im sure for those who know me!)

It's amazing what you forget about the day ..
I forgot how we had a sushi bar. I forgot how there were 4 little girls sitting on the steps of the hotel watching us take pictures. I forgot how my niece, at the age of 3, talked incessantly about Baby Elmo. I forgot how much I loved my vail and how I had a bit too much blush on my cheeks. I forgot how much my Father's speech made me laugh (and cry) and how beautiful the flowers were.

I did not, however, forget how much I loved being a bride.
I'm not a person who craves constant attention but, I admit, I loved being in the center for the moment. I glowed the bridal glow.

In two weeks I'll be attending a wedding as sister in law of the groom and I gotta tell you, I'm damn excited!
Besides the fact that I love a good wedding, I love my brother in law and future wife and am beyond elated for them. Maybe it's me wanting to experience the whole wedding day all over again but I plan to be out there in the center of the horah, sharing in a cocktail (or two).

I wonder if they realize how quickly the day passes. How in a moment your months of planning are over and you are sitting on your honeymoon; reliving the night.

Ten years later; I think about what marriage advice I can give.

I advise you to watch your wedding video every so often.
To remember the love you felt that day and to bring that back into your marriage on the worst or mundane of days.
To remember there was a reason you fell in love and to remind your spouse of that once and again.

Once you have children, it's easy to forget that stuff. Your life now revolves around them.

Have date night.
Talk.
Laugh with each other.
Talk about your day
Vacation
Hug
Say I love you even if you know they know it
Share the housework
The most simple of gestures are often the most appreciated
Give each other space.
Keep your independence
Talk
Talk
Talk

Comments