Skip to main content

My 24 hours as a single parent

Dear husband went to NYC for Brother in law's bachelor party.
I was to be a single parent for 24 hours. Luckily the weather was in my favor so our first hour of business was to head to the Zoo.

20 minutes into my 24 hours:
"Mommy. Are we there yet? What exit is the zoo? Are we in Rhode Island yet? Is Daddy in New York yet? Is Daddy behind us still?" (Dear husband left for his trip shortly after us. Oldest was quite focused on where he was in his travels..at every moment)

"Mommy. What does that spell on that sign right there? No, not that one (like he knows which one I'm reading. Youngest cant read yet). Mommy, what does Aoudad begin with? I love the Aoudad's at the zoo. I'm going to show the Flamingo's how I can stand on one leg like they do. Are we there yet mommy?"

"Is Daddy in Rhode Island now or Connecticut?"

Arrive at zoo. Apparently 100 others had the same brilliant idea that I had.
"Mommy. Why is it so crowded? Now we will never get into the zoo. Why do we have to wait in this long line? When can we see the Zebra's? I hope the Zebra's are out today.Do you think the Zebra's will be out today?"

20 minute wait in line, two maps for each child, water bottles and sunglasses, backpack for Mommy with epi-pen, wallet, wipes...all set.

"Mommy. I need to go pee pee but not now because I need to see the Zebra's. Maybe at the bathroom near the Camel's." (Kid can map out the entire zoo for anyone who hasn't been)

Ran into old camp friend with his family.(Yes, we are EVERYWHERE. Camp connection is like a cult. Without the weirdness.) I explain where Dear Husband is and wife sympathizes with my need for constant activities.
"When did he leave?" she asks.
I look at my watch.
"Two hours ago"!
I was wished good luck as we finished our zoo excursion and drove on home.

For the next hour we played outside. Oldest drove the Cadillac escalade car around the entire time (no lie, the kid is an amazing driver and is a pretty damned impressive parallel parker)
Youngest rode his bike for two minutes, hopped in the car, rode his bike for another 5 minutes, performed a show, played with the a ball, rode bike for one minute, asked to go inside.

Two children. Same upbringing.
Such different personalities.
Always amazes me.

Youngest woke at 6AM coughing; requesting a neb (asthmatic. Loves a good nebulizer treatment)
He then told me he needed to go pee.
5 minutes later he said he will wait in his room until I go wake him up.
620AM oldest is up.
625AM dear husband's alarm clock went off. Whoops..

By noon we had eaten breakfast, watched two Handy Manny episodes, went to swim lessons, got a bagel at drive thru Panera (Where I asked youngest for a bite and was informed I already had a bite of his breakfast this morning and I was only allowed one bite a day of something he ate) went to Kohls to purchase two desired Toy Story t-shirts (which NEED to have "Ham" on them), went food shopping (and bought more pudding, cookies and yogurt then intended), ate lunch, and counting the minutes until Daddy comes home.


2 more hours..
This single parent thing is exhausting.

Comments