Skip to main content

The 17 hour day

We went to Baltimore yesterday for my niece's Bat Mitzvah. I decided to make it a day trip because I thought the idea of the boys ending up in their own bed after a long day would be somewhat easier than spending the money for a hotel and staying overnight.
It was a long day. Here's a recap.
I was up at 3:15; unable to sleep. (Note that is day two of waking up early and not falling back to sleep)
6AM leave for Logan with two excited boys in tow.
630AM arrive at airport. Youngest asking every 3 minutes if he will miss the plane. Will it leave without him?
7AM- safely on plane. Youngest very much relieved after asking the flight attendant and a few random passengers if it would leave before everyone got on board.
9AM- Arrived in Baltimore. Youngest asking if the car rental shuttle bus would leave before we got on board.
9:05- Youngest asked again
9:06- you get the gist.
Arrive at my parents hotel to change because we now have 90 minutes before the Bat Mitzvah starts. Boys are actually doing okay albeit a little upset that there was nothing on TV in Grandma's hotel room.
11:30- Service starts late. Youngest telling everyone to be quiet because it's going to start soon.
11:35- Youngest asking me if every man he sees is the Rabbi
1136- Youngest asks if he can play on the "stage" while he waits.
Boys last for most of the service. Dear Husband takes them out for the last 10 minutes. Not too bad.
1PM- Youngest melts down because Daddy told him he cannot keep an entire two liter of orange soda on his table.
1:10- Youngest asks if they will run out of Orange Soda- crying hysterically at the thought. Dear Husband, myself and my brother ASSURE him they wont.
2PM- they run out of Orange Soda.
Note I havent posted anything about Oldest. Angel child of the trip. Behaved, pleasant, excited, verbal and all around "perfect" if I do get to brag. Which I do because it's my blog.
4PM- Party over. Flight home isn't until 7P. Dear Husband and I getting anxious about the next 4 hours with two, surely tired boys (and one totally exhausted Mother)
Waste some time at a nearby playground and Borders Books where I bribe them with two new books and a Disney CD.
5:30p- Arrive at BWI. Youngest asking when the plane will leave.
Note the pattern here?
531P- Dear Husband sarcastically asks me that he wonders where Youngest gets his worry wart attitude from?
532P- Hit husband
Youngest has a stomach ache. I wonder if it's from the 3 glasses of orange soda and ice cream he had earlier.
640P- Our plane isnt at BWI yet. You know who starts to worry.
642-Plane arrives. Youngest does the happy dance. Gets in line to board before existing passengers depart the plane.
Flight Attendant asks any pre boarders with "blue sleeves" (aka pre boarding pass for Southwest) to get on. Youngest tells Attendant that he has blue sleeves so starts to board. Smart Kid. Ivy leagues are already calling. I know. Brilliant right?
715p-Im awaiting meltdowns.
Instead I have two totally excited (yet hyperverbal) boys for the next 85 minutes.
I pat myself on the back and curse myself for doubting that my boys would be nothing less than perfect.

Can't wait to plan Disney.
I'm sure it will go as smooth....
RIGHT?

Comments