Skip to main content

Happy New Year (to the jewish readers!)

So its Rosh Hashanah time. Jewish New Year. Time to rejoice and celebrate and then a week later repent for all the sins of the past year. Since I dont have any (okay, a few) I take the day of Yom Kippur to fast and hopefully lose a lb. By 4pm Im usually beyond famished but I continue until sundown (or there abouts)
So, tomorrow is Rosh Hashana and Im "hosting" this year. Dont get too impressed. It's only my parents, aunt and cousin so it's not like Im cooking for 20. I also admit that my Mother did most of the shopping and cooking already because this was kind of a last minute plan to have it at my house over hers. It's just easier with the kids. More for them to do..less time for me to hear them whine. However, I take credit for helping with the brisket. A first for me-cooking the brisket I mean. Every year my Mother gets nervous that it's going to be too tough. Every year she asks "is it too tough" all in the same breath as her stating " I think it's too tough, no?". Five minutes later to be followed by "is it good? It's not too tough?"
So now, I'm cooking. She is 15 minutes away and as I took it out of the oven she calls and asks "how does it taste? Is it too tough?"
I think, carefully, about my next statement.
It's a tad tough in the center but the ends are perfect. It could probably use a few more minutes of cooking so I chose to be honest. We collectively agree to cook it for a few more minutes. In the meantime, lets remember that the holiday is TOMORROW. I'm cooking it tonight and will reheat it tomorrow. Apparently (according to her and her friends) it's better this way. I also ask my Mother in law how she cooks her brisket and she cooks it at a lower temperature. I decide to google brisket and of course find 1000 different recipes and different ways of cooking.
So, 10 more minutes of cooking and I will re-cut into it to see how it is.
Im obsessive about my cooking and baking and making sure everyone likes it so I understand where my Mother is coming from. I get this obsession from her. She gets it from her mother. We all obsess-- and believe me, not just about brisket.
Timer is dinging. Time to see if it's tough. Even if it's perfect I'm sure at some point it will be asked
"it's good isnt it? It's just a little tough, no?"

There's always next year to perfect it.
Happy New Year all

Comments