Skip to main content

Friday Nights

Once upon a time my Friday nights used to consist of my HS boyfriend picking me up in his Blue Wrangler Jeep and take me to the Dedham Showcase Cinema for movies and dinner.

In my 20's my Friday nights consisted of taking a nap at 7pm, only to get up an hour later, shower, and go with my college roommates to a dive bar in Springfield, Mass. named Shannon's. We became fixtures there following the local musicians.

Later in life my Fridays varied. Some were spent with girlfriends and a glass of wine. Other times it would be me and Codie (my cat) alone with a blockbuster video and take out Chinese Food.

I then met Dear Husband and had a permanent Friday night date. Later yrs turned into going to sleep early only to be awoken by a child who needed to be fed.

Last night was Friday and after treating myself to a manicure I went and did something that made me smile and giddy- almost like a school girl (ok, not quite. I exaggerate a bit) I shopped around the new WHOLE FOODS at Legacy place (a new semi upscale shopping plaza right near my home) Dear husband says he heard this was the largest Whole Foods in the Northeast. I don't always believe him when he throws out these facts but after going in there, he may be right. For a Friday night in a supermarket the place was hopping. You would've thought they were giving away free groceries and dinners. Couples, singles and families were eating take out prepared foods on the side where chairs and tables were aligned. People were lined up at the Gelato Bar grabbing samples of Bananas Foster and Cappuccino Chip and then walking over to the new monstrous movie cinema to catch Julie and Julia. People were smiling. Strangers were talking to each other over the marinated beef kabobs and just as excited about the salad bars (plural because there's a hot bar and a cold salad bar-yet I suppose the hot bar wouldn't be considered salad. Just hot foods.You're following along aren't you?) So there I was. Whole Foods. Minutes from our house. Acting like a high schooler who was on her first date in the Wrangler Jeep.
Times sure do change.

Comments