Skip to main content

Insomnia and anxiety-what a pair

Are you an insomniac if you fall asleep w/out issue but cannot STAY asleep to save your life? If so, I hereby label myself an insomniac. I kid you not. I have not slept through the night in over 7 yrs.. before I was pregnant with my twins. I wake up all the time; mostly either to pee or to kick my husband in the leg to stop snoring. Last night was both. Then I was awake agonizing over Oldest's bus.
Here's the issue. Oldest takes the bus to school. It's not really a bus it's a van, the special ed van. Some call it the short bus. I dont like my child to feel different so I just call it the bus. It will always be referred to as this so follow along.

The bus picks him up at 730AM every day..at our house. I cant complain over the door to door service yet I do complain at the hour of day considering school doesn't start until 825. I dont complain though bc I realize she has to pick up 4 other children and get them to school. Oldest attends the elementary school that is not in our district due to them having a language based program so his school is across town. I'm excited to have the bus service so I dont argue the fact that he is in there for over an hour every day.
This is where I do argue. He is first to pick up and second to last to drop off. Getting across town for Michelle (she's the bus driver. I'll call her Michelle. Mainly because that's her name) I realize is time consuming. She is eager to please and I do not fault her one bit for this stupid schedule she has. After she picks up kids from school A she then drops off two, then goes to School B to pick up one child. So, she sits for over 5-1o minutes waiting for said child because she doesn't have enough time to drop off the remaining kids on the bus or she would be late from picking up said child at school B. (Please tell me you are following along. I'm so irate at this whole mess)
Bottom line, this now makes my son sitting on a bus for 45 minutes. His day now consists of 2hrs and 45 minutes on a bus (to drive only 10 minutes away to school) and then a 6 hour+ school day. My kid is six. SIX! This is ridiculous for a six year old and really any child.
So what are my choices? For those who know me well know that by now I've already made a call into the bus company. They assured me Oldest would be dropped of third. He isn't. It makes no sense for Michelle to do that because she would be passing kids houses on the route. I get that.
My next step is calling the town to figure out if they can get another bus for child at school B making everyone happier.
Note that the kids on the bus are some kind of special education children. In all sorts. Oldest has therapy three/week that he needs to get to leaving him with 15 minutes of down time when he gets home. 15 minutes!! Come on mothers, you can relate to this gnawing at my heart cant you?
I find it incredibly hard to find a balance in my son's busy life and that's not balancing things like soccer vs tball. It's balancing school. eating therapy, speech therapy, Occupational Therapy and trying to throw something fun in like soccer, swim and playdates. Oh yea, and rest. Just plain ol rest and down time. Remember that? Remember that's what we did as kids? Just good old fashioned down time of playing games in the back yard or meeting friends on our bikes.
Why dont kids have that so much anymore?
Because of things like $^*% BUS SCHEDULES!???!!

Comments